Accessibilitech is an EU-funded initiative dedicated to mapping accessible technologies and giving them more visibility to both end-users and businesses across Europe.
DIGITALEUROPE and Fundación ONCE have partnered up with Microsoft to create the Accessibilitech Hackathon – a highly interactive event which, in the scope of the Accessibilitech project, aims to raise awareness of inclusive technologies and promote accessible tech solutions to citizens and organisations across Europe. Moreover, its goal is to activate the ICT industry and business communities in the efforts to develop more accessible tech products and services in the EU and beyond.
During the event, the participants will have the chance to put their curiosity, creativity and professional skills to good use, solving forward-looking challenges that have the potential to make technology in the areas of telework, telecare and e-learning more accessible and inclusive.
Who can participate in the hackathon?
The event is dedicated to everyone interested in learning more about accessibility and contributing to shaping a more inclusive society by developing accessible technology solutions. In particular, we welcome:
- Professionals: programmers, UX/UI designers, business developers, marketing experts, project managers or similar,
- Students with a background in IT, new media, marketing, business development, project management or similar, interested in the topic of accessible technological solutions,
- Technology end-users with disabilities or participants with knowledge of special needs and barrier-facing by people with disability.
English language skills are preferable, as the event will be held in English.
Do you want to participate, but don’t know about Accessibility?
Don’t worry. The Hackathon provides you with an excellent opportunity to learn more and go deeper on this topic. With the support of several organisations, we will bring you up to speed with the necessary accessibility knowledge before the Hackathon. In addition, you will be able to learn from your teammates during the event.
Participating teams will work on the development of products or functions for innovative products that promote accessibility, making them more accessible and easier to use for people with disabilities or at risk of digital exclusion.
They will be able to select a challenge from a list of challenges developed by Microsoft and Fundación ONCE, within the three thematic areas covered by the project: teleworking, e-learning and telecare.
During the hackathon, participants will be supported by Microsoft volunteers who will help with the conceptualisation process and provide relevant information on accessibility.
Note: it is important to note that the challenges will not require the development of a working prototype of the proposed solution. However, the solution must be technically feasible.
To ensure that the outcome of the Hackathon is successful and to create truly inclusive solutions, we strive for teams to be diverse with people representing various skills, strategies and perspectives. Therefore, we strongly recommend that teams include at least:
- A programmer
- A UX designer (optional, but desired profile)
- Marketing expert / business development / project manager
- An end-user with a disability or participant with knowledge about the special needs and barriers faced by people with disabilities.
In addition, a person can have more than one role. For example, a person with a disability can have the dual role of programmer and end-user. You need a minimum of 3 members to form a team.
You can apply either as an individual or as a team by 15 June, indicating your expertise, relevant skills and motivation to join the event. Your application will be reviewed by the Accessibilitech Team, and you can expect the results by 17 June. Successful individual applicants will be matched with a minimum of 2 other candidates, creating a team that will solve the Hackathon challenge together. The successful teams will undertake the challenge together, however, should there a need emerge, the Hackathon organisers may add individual applicants to selected teams.
16 May – 15 June 2022 – Registration period
17 June 2022 – application results and announcement of teams
22-23 June 2022 – Hackathon
- 3 x EUR 3.000 per team for the winning solutions *
- An official participation certificate for everyone taking part in the Hackathon
22 June 2022
- 10-10:30 h. Opening Ceremony
- Welcome talk
- Introduction from DIGITALEROPE, Fundación ONCE and Microsoft
- Keynote from the European Commission
- Welcome talk
- 10:30-11h. Orientation for the Hackathon with the challenges’ introduction
- 11h. Start of the Hackathon (24h)
23 June 2022
- 10h. End of the Hackathon
- 10-12.30h. Pitches to the Jury
- 12.30-14h. Lunch break
- 14-16h. Jury meeting
- 17-18h. Closing Ceremony & Hackathon results announcement
More information on the Digital Europe website